What is visa on arrival?
As the name suggests, this visa is called a border gate visa that can be obtained at the borders of foreign countries. According to the agreements among the countries, citizens traveling abroad can apply for a visa at the borders of that country for touristic purposes, however, they will be limited to a certain period.
What is Iran visa on arrival?
Citizens of some countries are eligible to get their tourist visa on arrival. It means that you fly to Iran and then obtain your visa at airport.
Which countries can get their visa on arrival?
All travelers with tourist purposes (only) can get visa on arrival, except:
- Travelers from: U.S., UK, Israel, Canada, Colombia, Somalia, Bangladesh, Jordan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India: the visa on arrival MIGHT be possible if you are a passport holder of these mentioned countries, but we strongly suggest you otherwise.
- Travelers who have been rejected for Iran visa FROM THE EMBASSY previously will not receive Iran visa on arrival.
- Journalists and reporters on mission cannot get Iran visa on arrival.
- Iranian nationals holding other nationality’s passport are not allowed to get Iran visa on arrival.
- Iran visa on arrival is issued for tourist purposes only (ordinary passport). Diplomatic passport, official passports, etc. cannot apply for this type of Iran visa.
How to obtain visa on arrival?
There are two ways to get your visa on arrival. According to the official website of ministry of foreign affairs, you can submit your request in advance online and get your visa at the airport (I). Or, fly to Iran (without doing any action) and get your visa at the airport (II).
1. Fill out the application form which is available on the official website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Islamic Republic of IRAN (MFA) and our website. (if you want to follow up all the procedure by your own, fill out the ministry one).
2. Instead of the Iran embassy near your place, select one of the international airports of Iran to collect your visa.
3. One you arrive at the airport, search for an officers which usually stand outside of passport checking stations.
4. You must submit a hardcopy of Grant Notice (the document shows that your visa was approved) and your passport to the Visa-On-Arrival counter.
Grant Notice will be also available through following link if your application is approved: CHECK APPLICATION STATUS
5. Pay your visa fee in cash. Pay visa fee through banking terminals at airport in euros (based on the information available on official website).
1. Fly to one of the international airports of Iran. Search for an officers which usually stand outside of passport checking stations.
2. Give the VOA counter your passport and ask for application form to fill out. It takes you less than 15 minutes.
3. Pay our visa fee in cash. Pay visa fee through banking terminals at airport in euros (based on the information available on official website).
Which international airports are eligible to Issue VOA?
- IKIA: Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport
- THR: Mehrabad International Airport
- MHD: Mashhad International Airport
- SYZ: Shiraz International Airport
- TBZ: Tabriz International Airport
- ISF: Isfahan International Airport
- KIH: Kish international Airport
- LRR: Lar International Airport
- AWZ: Ahwaz International Airport
- BND: Bandar Abbas International Airport
- BUZ: Bushehr International Airport
- GSM: Qeshm International Airport
How long can I stay in Iran with VOA?
Iran visa on arrival has 14-30 days validity.
Necessary Documents for VOA Visa
- A valid passport with at least 6 months validity;
- A photo to be attached to the Iran visa application form. Two passport size pictures are enough. Recently visa officers are using a digital camera to take the needed pictures but still, having your own pictures make the process easier and faster. Female travelers the picture should be with Hijab;
- Visa fee in cash, which is payable to the Iran Visa & Passport Office at the airport. Iran airport visa fee depends on the applicant’s nationality. At the moment it’s somewhere between 75-150 euros, but it may slightly different according to the travelers nationality;
- A confirmed return ticket would be a peace of mind. There are lots of travelers who are not sure about their plan and apply for the visa without a return ticket, and it’s almost always fine. But if you have a rigid plan, it would be better to have your return ticket reservation at the first point;
- A travel/medical insurance to get your visa for Iran (does not matter what kind of visa) is needed. To be accepted at the time of issuing your visa, it’s necessary that your insurance policy specifically states the insurance is valid for Iran. Note that the terms of “middle east” or “Asia” on your insurance coverage won’t be acceptable and you will end up buying a new one in the airport for 16-20 Euro. If your insurance company covers Iran as well, you can ask them to send you a new format with Iran being underlined in it. We recommend iati & truetraveller (Best Option for Europian backpackers).
- On a case by case bases sometimes an invitation letter or hotel reservation voucher is asked for. You can ask for an invitation letter from an Iranian travel agency or friend to be confirmed at Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs at least 48 hours before your arrival to Iran airport(It’s pretty easy), or simply show your hostel reservation or voucher to the officer. You don’t need to have a reservation confirmation for the whole length of your trip. The first 2-3 days of your trip will be sufficient;
- Rarely, but possibly you may need to prove your fund ability for your trip. Remember, since the credit cards are not usable in Iran up to now, you HAVE TO BRING ENOUGH CASH FOR THE WHOLE LENGTH OF YOUR TRIP. Dollars, Euros or any other kind of valid currencies in Europe and Asia will be fine for exchange shops in Iran.